Breaking Local News
Three people are facing charges in the death of a 32-year-old Beckley man. Shawn Dewayne Rucker was found lying in front of a home on 6th Street in Beckley September 26th with nine gunshot wounds, in what police determined was a home invasion. Alfred "Les" Pittman, Cornealius "Ty" Taylor and Dewayne Lane were seen in the area before and after the shooting, according to witnesses. Taylor and Pittman were arrested Thursday night. Lane turned himself in to Bluefield Police on Friday. All have been arraigned, and await further court dates.
Some in Putnam County are under a boil water advisory because of a water main break. Because of the break on Lone Oak Road, West Virginia Water issued a precautionary boil water advisory in the Red House and Putnam Union areas of Putnam County. That means customers should boil their water a full minute before drinking, cooking, bathing, showering and brushing teeth until further notice.
The FMC Corporation hydrogen peroxide plant in South Charleston hasn't been an active producer for eight years, but it did remain open as a distribution site until 2008. Now the decision has been made to tear it down. The FMC environmental manager says that asbestos removal is finished, and the next step is to take all of the plant's equipment out. Once the plant is torn down which should be finished by sometime around May of 2013, FMC will clean up the 40-acre site, and that could take the better part of a year. FMC plans to sell the property after the cleanup is finished.
A wilderness challenge is happening across West Virginia through Saturday for about 300 members of the military. The military members are taking part in a mountain run, a mountain bike race, a forced hike through the mountains, a whitewater raft race. This serves as a qualifying race for the United States Adventure Racing Association's National Championships.
Few details have been released, but we do know a man was arrested last night in Charleston after being linked to a Beckley murder. Police say Alfred Pittman was arrested at Women's and Children's Hospital Thursday night as a homicide suspect in Beckley.
A St. Albans man hauled in a record-breaking catfish recently. Mark Foster broke the record for the largest blue catfish caught in West Virginia, verified by the Division of Natural Resources. Foster used cut bait to catch the 43.9-inch, 44.5-pound fish in the Ohio River, which ironically broke his own record from 2011 which was 32.28 pounds. It must have been Foster's lucky day, because on the same day that he caught the record catfish, he also landed a 52.25-inch longnose gar, which tied a record.
Many are wondering about the meningitis outbreak reported in several states, traced to steroid injections usually given to treat back pain. The steroid has been recalled, but the Bureau for Public Health says one West Virginia clinic received the suspected tainted medication. The clinic hasn't been identified, but the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is closely monitoring the situation. Patients who may have received the medication are being contacted. There are no reported cases of meningitis so far in West Virginia. Four people have died and at least two dozen have become sick in five other states. The drug was made by a specialty pharmacy in Massachusetts that issued a recall last week and has shut down operations.
Hurricane Middle school students were released early on Thursday because of a natural gas leak. There were no injuries because of the gas leak, but there have been reports that a utility worker was hurt after being hit by a pickup truck as he was trying to close off a road around the school. He was taken to the hospital. A utility crew was putting a new telephone pole in when they hit a gas line, according to school officials, and students were evacuated to the football field as a precaution. School was released then shortly after lunch time.
A parent at Riverside High School has filed a complaint with the Kanawha-Charleston Health Department over black mold. The parent makes the claim that black mold growing in the building is causing students respiratory problems. The Charleston Gazette reports an evaluation report shows the mold near a roof leak near the building's blue stairwell. Health officials consider that a violation of air regulations. Tests are being done on the mold now to see how risky the situation is. For now, parents of Riverside High students have taken to Facebook to talk about it.
To Institute....West Virginia State University just received a million dollar gift from a private donor. President Brian Hemphill announced the gift during the recent State of the University address, and said the money will help fund several different projects for education and athletics. $500,000 will go for a scholarship for business and science degrees. Much of the rest will help upgrade facilities at the football field and add a locker room, coaches offices and weight rooms. Fleming Hall is also expected to see some renovations soon.